Managed Care Pharmacy Residency
Post-Graduate Year One (PGY1)
OmedaRx is a national pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) distinguished for its focus on evidence-based medicine (ebm) and comparative effectiveness to encourage the use of medications that provide the most value. OmedaRx’s PGY1 Managed Care Pharmacy Residency program trains the pharmacy resident in all aspects of Managed Care Pharmacy in a health plan and PBM environment.
The OmedaRx residency will prepare you for a successful career in a variety of positions, such as clinical program manager, formulary management pharmacist, utilization management pharmacist, clinical pharmacy consultant, and medical science liaison within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Clinical Evidence Review and Evaluation: Review medication literature and apply the OmedaRx EBM critical appraisal methods to author formulary monographs and therapy class reviews, and propose formulary recommendations to the Pharmacy & Therapeutics (P&T) Committee.
- Medication Policy: Develop evidence-based, medication-specific coverage criteria and clinical management programs to encourage the use of medications that are safe, effective, and provide value to members.
- Prior Authorization: Recommend coverage determinations while supporting prior authorization and customer services teams.
- Pharmacy Outreach and Education: Provide member and physician education through outreach programs, such as the site-of-care optimization program.
- Administration/Operations/Sales: Learn about strategies that support the growth of OmedaRx, including pharmacy contracting and benefit design. Provide clinical insight to OmedaRx clients and support the sales team.
- Data Analytics (Elective): Provide clinical support for analytics projects involving utilization management, cost savings initiatives, implementation of patient and provider outreach, and oversight and performance reporting.
- Specialty Pharmacy (Elective): Assess the financial impact of high-cost drugs, monitor the drug pipeline, and develop specialty drug management strategies.
- Teaching (Elective): Enhance teaching skills through practical training workshops and hands-on experience in collaboration with the Oregon Pharmacy Teaching Certificate (OPTC) Program.
- Complete a residency research project and present at a national meeting.
- Network with leaders in managed care pharmacy and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Participate in Oregon’s CityWide Group, a state-wide program aimed at promoting leadership, growth and networking of pharmacy residents (optional).
OmedaRx participates in the ASHP Resident Matching Program. Potential residents must possess a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an ACPE-accredited college of pharmacy, be licensed or eligible for licensure in Oregon, and have strong motivation to pursue a dynamic career in managed care pharmacy. An on-site interview and presentation are required.
Starting Date: July 1
Estimated Stipend: $50,000
Number of Positions: 2
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Vacation time allotted (17 days of paid time off)
- Stipend for professional travel and conferences
- Commute expense reimbursement available for public transportation
- 401k contribution
- Incentive pay eligible
Kate Ramsay, Pharm. D.